The role of the Legal and Compliance Officer is to work independently to ensure that compliance with legal standards and in-house policies obligations are being followed, and monitoring the company’s clients to ensure that payments are in order. The duty is also to act responsibly to enforce regulations in all aspects and levels of the business as well as provide guidance on compliance matters.
- Develop and implement an effective legal compliance programme.
- Implementing and monitoring proactive risk management policies and procedures.
- Create sound internal controls and monitor adherence to them.
- Draft and revise company policies.
- Proactively audit processes, practices, and document to identify weaknesses.
- Evaluate business activities to assess compliance risk and violation.
- Supporting the Team
- Keep abreast of internal standards and business goals.
- Actively monitoring client files and ensuring that payments are in order.
- Initiate legal proceedings to clients failing to reach agreement to settle their outstanding overdue bills.
- Follow up pending legal cases.
- Follow up of court cases with the court Registrar and court systems.
- Follow up Auctions (Subbasti) to ensure the company wins the bids.
- Represent the company when required during any court cases.
- Compile reports (as frequently as deemed necessary by management) to report on updates/progress on the Non-performing section & Legal cases.
- Compiling reports to monitor collections on an ongoing basis throughout the month.
- Negotiate and sign repayment agreements with clients to minimise legal action.
Skills and Competencies
- Possess a Doctor of Laws or a Legal Degree
- Having a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Knowledge of legal requirements and controls (e.g. Anti Money Laundering);
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards.
- Knowledge in KYC due diligence best practices.
- Previous experience in similar roles within the financial services industry would be considered an asset.
- Proficient in MS office applications.
- Excellent communications skills in both English and Maltese.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality and data security.
- Passionate team player with a growth mindset.
- Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Hands-on and self-driven who loves a challenger culture.
- Adapts quickly to changes and takes responsibility for developing own skills.
All applications are treated with the strictest confidence. Personal data which is provided by a candidate will be processed by the company for the purpose of the recruitment process and in the case of employment, for the purpose of the employee’s relationship with the company.